Sunday 27 November 2016

Cocoon Brussels – likes, dislikes, way forward (?)

Many are the challenges of the interior design, the biggest one for me as a foreign resident, and with limited finance if I may add, remains sourcing. And that is why a trade fare looked like such a good idea.

I got a free invitation, to be honest, and had it not been the case, I would have regretted to pay what it costs. Here is why:

1.     Styles are so limited! In fact, what was there in the way of furniture was an endless variation of a handful of high end top heap objects of the day: chairs – Scandinavian – heavy shell on square legs, there’s your chair! Sofas: rectangular, edgy, oversized. Just how many proportions would make a perfect parallelepiped look different?
2.     Prices are so limited – the stuff was basically expensive – in fact so expensive (4 grant a sofa?) that one wonders why is not everybody shopping at IKEA. I guess for a lot of the pieces presented the selling point is that it is not IKEA (how original)
3.     Limited niche for other styles – complements point one – what was not heavy minimalism/simplistic/industrial with a Scandinavian touch, was ultra-classical, or flashy boudoir style – and that is the rest 5 percent methinks
4.     Limited for variety of objects – there was mostly furniture (not bad for a deco exposition in fact), but also a number of competing out f place water distributors? In terms of finishing – all tiled up. In fact, the tile market in Belgium, or elsewhere, is very competitive, whereas they are hardly ever seen in deco solutions outside of a bathroom…
5.     Did I say limited? Well, I think it is the word that describes it best. But it is not necessarily a criticism. Before going further, I must just add that if I hadn’t found much to pen about, it is probably because cocoon caters for a specific public I am not yet part of…

So, here is what I learnt about the consumer, their tastes, and consequently, what is in it for me:

1.     It may already be incurred that people going to cocoon are rich enough to live in oversized houses (with swimming pools mind you, or at least Jacuzzi), but they still prefer very simple things. And once a trend is there, all jump for the trend.
2.   Alongside furniture, art is also highly appreciated. The number of galleries and art dealers may have been enough for a parallel expo. Also noticed that some pieces were mass produced, but it is non the less a very fine touch alongside the grey and beige industrialities.
3.     Very strong support for the local producers was there, but also enough of open-mindedness for a bunch of foreign suppliers: I liked a very nice Italian sofa (the 4 grant plus piece if you wonder), without a straight line in it, and neither classic nor boudoir. Was refreshing. A prominent Austrian bookcase also got catalogued for future reference.

And this is where I stop – don’t mean to make it look as if the negative is more than the positive. I just go back to the raison d’être of my blog, which is – teach myself enough interior design so that I can do the best of my apartment, ideally with my own hands. And blog while doing it.

And that is why the best is saved for last – as I was re-doing palais 9 – by mistake, or with the hidden intention to walk by the speculoos stand, I bumped into the representatives of UFDI!

UFDI is the francophone union of interior designers, which I will gladly research, and the existence thereof I was totally unaware. The four ladies behind the counter (if I got that correctly total number of members from Belgium), were very nice and readily presented the association.

Turns out – it is possible to study interior design in Belgium (another research in this one), the alumni offer a set of services, varied and impossible to price in a chat. None of them had a project open to the public, though, so it looked like I had found theee niche of the deco business around here. It seems that people trust themselves enough with their tastes and wouldn’t bother asking a stranger to work out which beige angular sofa will match the grey tiles?

So, so much to agree and disagree upon, but please go ahead and share: what is your view of the local style? Can one aspire to do something different in Brussels, when the market is so overwhelmingly choosing the same things? What would be a nice place to go and see contemporary Belgian interior design?


This post wasn’t planned. I am thinking that it comes handy, as it will be time to introduce my style in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment