Thursday 23 November 2017

Holiday house London - areas to admire, questions to ask

The Holliday House London, apparently first time in London, turned out a wonderful place to visit. Over the grounds of 2 houses in North-West London, 26 designers have created space each.

The experience was breathtaking for a number of reasons. For a start – the project is a charity in favour of breast cancer research. The city’s area is a gem in Britain's capital, so what other chance to go somewhere so nice? Having complete rooms pulled together works far better than a sketch or a show-room – in fact it allows an entry to a designer's mind and lots of inspiration for a "budding" designer.

So, for those who care, my thoughts on what was exposed – for which I have just one word – areas to admire!

1. Bedrooms!

Possibly the dominating theme in those multi-bedroom town houses! Indeed, it was all kinds of directions in style and design – very young even "adolescent" spaces – such as Studio suss (great job), or very masculine, very feminine ones too; very impressive, and well – to some extent some were predictable (at least for me).




Shalini Misra's is one of the more remarkable ones (to me at the very least) I liked the seamless combination of wall paper, textile, furniture, art and details. She'd declared it Moroccan-inspired Marooned in Morocco’ – I saw more of art deco – but enjoyed. This is the key!




Also, the masculine cum tropical theme of Turner Peacock stuck!




Overall, I think providing a bedroom in a townhouse is not too much of a challenge, because the rooms are nicely proportioned – the ceiling height is not overwhelmingly greater as the case would be in Brussels; still the versatility of stiles proves that it is all possible.

2. Dining rooms – speaking of proportions – this came as a surprise, a real weathered well-known name Nina Campbell taught me something: her dining room was magnificent in terms of colours, furniture, textures and accessories. A lot of the pieces though were oversized! I think one may need to practice for some years in order to learn his/her way around proportions. Also – I am sure most of you won't see the difference if those slightly too big pieces were just on paper.




Another dining room I enjoyed was Iggy's- remarkable selection of art, some of the pieces make it difficult to host your kids' party though. The wisdom of this room is that if a place will be used in the evening, and the art and light are well selected – the lack of windows is almost no problem…




3. Living rooms! What a big topic – I am divided between the large spacious ground floor living rooms and the lovely areas adjacent to the kitchens and looking onto the gardens. A very calm intimate space was proposed by Sophy Paterson - in green (one of my most favorite colours) and white. I'd say a good fusion with the nature just behind in glass panes!



The ground floor floor contained a lot of original pieces – chandeliers wall furnishings, furniture, but something was also amiss with the scale – at times the spaces made more allusions of art gallery than home proper - see works of Fiona Barratt.






And this makes me repeat a question I've asked myself and others already many times – how far can training go? Will one who is not raised rich learn the ways of the wealthy just by visiting houses? I think this reaffirms my resolve to work with what I know and aim for the future: learn to organize space well, and make cozy in spite of all space limitations….

4. Random places: there was not a square centimeter of the holiday houses undecorated. There were hallways, bathrooms, restrooms, staircases – In one word all of it. Very important feature as this is what gave integrity to the project.



5.No formal areas – and for that reason my favorites: a dressing room by Rachel Laxer, an exercise by KLC second year students. Probably it is the time to share that am a KLC student too – open learning diploma, so watch this space!



And finally a snug by Natalia Miyar. extremely successful use of space, colours and textures. 




Once I was told that when leaving an exhibition I must know which picture I want to take and hang at home. To paraphrase – this is the vibe I might enjoy. In the end of the day art and design serve the same purpose – I admire them both but also can't stop asking myself – how do they do it? What goes through artists' mind? Could I learn to imitate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment