Thursday 23 March 2017

Elevations – when a room rises around you

If you’ve seen those photos from the previous post, you certainly know that my project 1 is becoming real and it is picking up speed, and for great many things I’ll have to make decisions!

So, with this post I will be going back to layout, letting you know how I got there, and hopefully looking and making it further on.

A very versatile study of the possibilities you find in this post – exclusively dedicated to Project one. Then in a post on Sketchup, and 3D, my then favourite is explored in multiple dimensions. To be on the safe side, another SketchUp model appears in my take on the GIDC, this time inspired by one of the participants.

And now, I’d like to bring to your attention the version F!


It is the “compromise” version – trying to keep all that was nice in each preceding version, but also brave enough to do away with what simply won’t be possible.

Therefore, at present:

·       The darkest wall is dedicated to storage – bookcases A. It offers the continuum and won’t be hampering any other zone.
·       I had to give up the idea of an angle sofa – simply impossible to reasonably fit in one within 16 square meters, and leave space for dining! So, currently the big question is whether the sofa B should be a two seater or a smaller three seater. Very few small three seaters out there – I am missing Japan with its cute pieces of not oversized furniture!
·       Dining corner C-D-E – best served by a round table C, for closer fit; storage chests D, could be tied to the rest with some upholstering and chairs E still have to be defined (in my heart of hearts I’d go for those transparent, suspended in the air type, but will they be good for the rest of the room?)
·       Reading corner with armchair F and stool G! Just like the dining table is next to the window, so for any daylight type of hobbies already two fantastic options next to the lightest window in that room! The challenge is to find pieces B-F-G which resemble each other, ideally a set – but I know too well I am being ambitious!
·       H is going to be the TV furniture – I’d also like to use it to inject some Asia element – so the perfect one is possibly antique or import from that part of the world.
·       A final touch – set of coffee tables – I already have I – precious memory from a visit to Nicaragua 5 years ago, when I didn’t even have the apartment.

And as the KLCprecious course planning spaces advised – elevations are needed to make the right decisions. I would start with the bookcase wall A.

The way things are, we know already some part of it will not be accessible all the time – due to the sofa. This is not a problem though – storage for seasonal items is always useful!

The furniture suggested for the following simulation is IKEA series BILLY. Whereas it would be nice to upgrade furniture, the advantage with this one is that there are plenty of modules and colours – so much that any option could be explored. The disadvantage of many choices is that the whole thing may end up as a furniture store with every pieces as a part of different series.

Other than BILLY, IKEA has the BESTA system. So, probably at some point in time a simulation with BESTA, which also is more likely to have a solution for H, and for wall mounted pieces too. At this point in time advantage pf BILLY is that pieces stand on the floor. Advantage of BESTA could be the fewer open shelves, which attract too much dust for my liking!

Now the following simulation has two heights – 202 and 237 cm. I’d be so grateful if you’d advise your choice, based on the elevations hereunder!



The taller version looks offers more storage, the other one looks more harmonious next to the door! So – shall I go practical or aesthetic?

When thinking of colours – I had a very successful spray-painting experience with the curtain rail, which is now copper colour – another earthy shade to this room. Before I go furniture-hunting, I am planning to put together a mobile mood-board with the materials already in use, to lay against future materials. And I bet there’s going to be more spray-painting in this apartment. So, hope will be abe to present that with following post, alongside more elevations.




No comments:

Post a Comment