Thursday 9 February 2017

Ode to small spaces

My realities are the small spaces. For a start this is my habit, I haven’t yet had the pleasure or obligation to live in a large house – it has all gone down to rooms of 12 to 20 square meters, and I must admit – I like it! It may sound strange, but small spaces have advantages over bigger ones too!

·       It is so cosy! I am writing the present lines in a room of 2,20 by 2,80, which was originally meant to be part of my living room. (You may wish to check thedescription of my apartment- my white canvass. You will certainly recognise theroom!) It has its own window, next to which I put my bed. Other than that I have small wardrobe in a lively colour and a few tables, and here you go – it is light, human-sized, easy to heat instantly in the cold season. All in all – my idea of being nicely snug!
·       Zen – living in a small space – my former flat of 21 square meters, taught me not to hoard, pile up or stock useless staff. Admittedly, I can improve on this, especially since current living space is nearly triple in surface – but I have noticed that storage space prompts storage and we don’t need that. I have no time to wear clothes in boxes, read piles of books bought years ahead and corresponding to my past tastes, collect kitchen utensils of mysterious purposes and what not…by the way, moving often has nearly the same object-cleansing effect…
·       Versatility – it is so much more inventive to try to do with less, that some really nice solutions come up. I like multipurpose rooms, but in the same time believe that food smell belongs to the kitchen and bathroom vapour is not for the bedroom. So, for me an area of around 50 square meters is not a loft with free flow, but nicely cut out 1 room flat. I like it when the bedroom is a private boudoir/living room too, or when the kitchen can accommodate a table and chairs for the inner circle of friends.
·    Places of inspiration – because some of the most wonderful countries I have visited allow for mostly small spaces and they are so nicely done – think Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong
·    Sometimes it is all we can afford, but it should absolutely not bring you down. I am thinking, if and when I could upgrade, I may go for a second small apartment – for the fun of decorating at the very least. Also, they are economical in every possible way – think of tidying and cleaning time before you think money! Small spaces buy you more pleasant moments – they are a way of being free.

And there you go – it could be a short post, philosophical and no illustrations, but wait – it is just the direction being given. Next, to take this concept to the ground – where does one find good solutions for small spaces? And I mean small and well-furnished spaces, not student’s quarters.

From my travelling, which is my second best activity after interior design, I had discovered that the place to learn best how to work with small spaces is Asia. Every time when I travel to a country susceptible to offer something interesting, I buy a magazine:

  
Some time ago, I regretted I couldn’t subscribe to those magazines in Europe, and then discovered Magzter, but with all due respect, the result is not the same. So, as a consequence, I treasure my Asian magazines as much as my precious books on Asian interiors (has to be a different post - my favourite style. But these are interconnected - love Asian because it fits nicely into small spaces!).


Now, to give you just an idea of the sort of problems they solve, I have an extract from the following one, a cherished memory from my visit to China – possibly bought in Hong Kong:

























Now, the first apartment, is very much in line with the styles promoted – Asian, minimalistic, neutral colours. I like it for the space solution. This is precisely the rock I am pushing up the hill right now with my project 1 – bedroom converted to livingroom.

 

The next presentation is in the same magazine, but some fresh colours are allowed. Also very nice way of promoting Asian culture – we can see that their neutral palettes are so adaptable and universal, no problem to blend in with bold colours, or a mural in European style…


With respect to my apartment this means that I can look for a newer solution, whereby:
·       
  •  take full advantage of a round table
  • ·       recycle some of the furniture I have already
  • ·       rely on textiles, accessories and finishes for a subtler Asian look
  • ·       note that the dining area can be incorporated anywhere
  • ·       distance between TV and sofa can be smaller,
  • ·       etc.


All of this to let you know that there is going to be a new edition of my project one – it is the letter F in order! I can feel I am getting closer and am so happy that what I see I can transpose in my searching for a perfect design.

These experiments make the numerous trials and errors easier to go through, because every new idea is fuelling some sort of a solution.

What do you think? Can you quote an instance when your design vision changed under the influence of a style, or works of a particular designer? Which style do you aim at, if any? Is style important?


I so wish to know I am not the only fan of small spaces…

No comments:

Post a Comment