Friday 16 December 2016

Building a look – project 1 revisited and an attempt for one point perspective mode


So, when I left off, I had the joke that it might be possible to find high end pieces of furniture in an every man’s shop…

What you find are elements – so here is what I discovered from my Kelly Hoppen imagery:
·       Barcelona chair like sofas – basically anything in leather and not in a garish colour, but with buttons … I wish I could say there you go – but not – they are also in very heavy colours, so sombre; like someone’s office in the 1950’s?
·       Gloss surfaces – indeed they exist in IKEA too. Trouble is that the ones I saw were on light aluminium legs, so very far from the original corpulent look
·       And of course taupe – newest product – a multi modular seating, exists in different colours and textures. One of the leather versions is taupe. But the whole look is somewhat not consolidated, so again the feel of luxurious interior is hmmm lost.


I do not share pictures, except for that one, from those findings, the reason being that I am curious if my dear reader would go out and do the the hunt themselves?

Anyway, other than furniture, or elements, what we need for a successful look is a good representation of the surroundings we’re dealing with. And that is how I am back to you, and in this part there’s going to be pictures.

My project one needs revisiting, you remember that even as I presented it, I was not so happy about it.

This leads to a bigger conversation about space planning and how do we check an idea.

So, on the planning spaces course with the klc, I was told that the best way to test an idea is to draw the elevation. I tried it and I must say – well it provides you with something.

The elevations are however quite flat. That is why I was so happy to learn about the one-point perspective at the very least.

Now, the issue I am having is that I still do not have that marvellous quality of steady hands, so once again I resorted to CAD.

I started from the elevation, already established here.



Then I copied the end wall, and I picked a view point and a marking point.



After that a grid came in and the first piece of furniture appeared as a silhouette against the wall



And then the piece grew….


This is where I stop – simply because the exercise was meant to be done free hand and thus save time. I mostly have the problem that I loose the feelong of size and scale, and when I do those tries free-hand, they are not realistic (those are images I am not ready to share yet).

And there is so much for testing!

Hereunder is a summary of versions, which I produced for another on-line course – My design school.



Over the months it turned out I was never quite happy with any of them. The room is being empty for a while now (new flooring), so I go in and out, imagine pieces in their places and am not yet happy with the projected outcome.

Anyway, suffice to say – my choices used to gravitate around versions A or B, but recently I reconsidered a version D.



I am guessing, their specific merits, accompanied by numerous elevations, one point perspectives and even Sketchup models, will make for another post. For the time being, please let me know about your preferences, and the whys behind them.

Planning to be away for the Holidays, and wishing everyone great time, in your spaces!



No comments:

Post a Comment